Tag: Manchester City

Soccer-Rooney saga hangs over Chelsea-United clash

Soccer-Rooney saga hangs over Chelsea-United clash

By Josh Reich

LONDON, Aug 22 (Reuters) – Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho’s pursuit of Manchester United’s unsettled striker Wayne Rooney has added spice to the first huge Premier League match of the season when the title rivals clash at Old Trafford on Monday.

The west London club have already tabled two bids for the England forward & have not ruled out making a third, despite new United boss David Moyes’s steadfast refusal to sell.

Read more

Share and Enjoy

Pellegrini: Barry's future at Manchester City in his own hands

Pellegrini: Barry's future at Manchester City in his own hands

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini insists Gareth Barry’s future at the club is down to the player himself.Goal revealed last week that the England international midfielder, who is in the last year of his current deal, fears a new contract is not forthcoming at the Etihad Stadium.Barry plans to speak with the club’s director of football, Txiki Begiristain, before the end of the transfer window to clear up his future. Following City’s 4-0 win over Newcastle, Pellegrini said the 32-year-old is in control of his own destiny.”It depends on what he wants … we have moreover Rodwell, Garcia, Fernandinho & they are here today,” Pellegrini told reporters.”But I spoke with Gareth, he wants to stay here. He doesn’t have any problems to stay here. He will fight for his position as [with] any other player in the squad.”If he wants to go because he has better options it depends on what he wants to do.”Barry has made 132 appearances for Manchester City since joining in 2009, scoring six goals.

Read more

Share and Enjoy

Dzeko hails Pellegrini following Newcastle rout

Dzeko hails Pellegrini following Newcastle rout

Edin Dzeko has lauded the impact of new Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini & says the Chilean has given him the confidence boost he needs.The Bosnia-Herzegovina international was used only sparingly by former boss Roberto Mancini last season, mainly reduced to a role off the bench, although he was the club’s top scorer in the league.Dzeko looked in fine form in City’s resounding 4-0 win over Newcastle, even if he did not obtain on the scoresheet himself, & has credited Pellegrini with showing faith in his abilities.“The manager brings something different to us, he gives me confidence & that’s what I needed,” the 27-year-old Dzeko told Sky Sports after the match. “I think we played a fantastic match, what the manager expects from us. We played the first game at home, & we wanted to show the fans what we’re capable of.“We could have scored a few more, yet we are pleased with the score. I wanted so badly to score, yet we won three points & the next games are coming & I’m ready.”Yaya Toure struck for a stunning free kick just after the restart to send the home side up 3-0, and, after City spent huge in the summer to secure four high-profile new recruits, he believes the club can challenge for multiple honors.“We played very well. Full credit to all the team, we worked very hard,” Toure said. “[We have brought in] amazing, quality players, I think this kind of player will assist the squad.“The aim of the club this year is to do fantastic things in the Premier League & the Champions League, & I hope this year is going to be a satisfactory year for us.”

Read more

Share and Enjoy

Zabaleta signs new Manchester City deal until 2017

Manchester City defender Pablo Zabaleta has signed a new four-year contract that will keep him at the Etihad Stadium until 2017.The Argentine has made has made 175 appearances for City since signing from Espanyol in 2008, & he has emerged as the club’s first-choice right back in recent seasons.

“I have been here for five years & it feels like home. Signing a contract extension with the club makes me feel very happy,” Zabaleta told the club’s official website. “I feel tremendous here, I like the Premier League, & I think Manchester City are one of the clubs looking for success in the future. It is a club that is very well-organized, & when you see that everything works well you want to be here.”

Read more

Share and Enjoy

Soccer-Argentine Zabaleta to stay at Manchester City until 2017

Soccer-Argentine Zabaleta to stay at Manchester City until 2017

Aug 19 (Reuters) – Argentina right back Pablo Zabaleta has signed a new four-year contract that will keep him at English Premier League Manchester City until 2017.

“I have been here for five years & it feels like home. Signing a contract extension with the club makes me feel very happy,” said the 28-year-old who has captained City on several occasions.

Zabaleta, voted the club’s Player of the Year last season, helped City win the Premier League title in 2012 & has made 175 appearances since joining them from Espanyol five years ago.

Read more

Share and Enjoy

Pardew expects Navas to be Manchester City standout

Pardew expects Navas to be Manchester City standout

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has tipped Manchester City winger Jesus Navas to be one of the Premier League’s stellar performers this season.Despite being threatened with relegation last term, the Magpies secured a 16th-placed complete & face a tough opening to their new campaign at the Etihad Stadium on Monday evening.As well as a new manager at the helm in Manuel Pellegrini, City boast a wealth of additions to their squad, including Stevan Jovetic, Alvaro Negredo, Fernandinho & Navas, yet Pardew maintains that his side can secure an upset.”It’ll be a tremendous platform for us to start our campaign. We’re the underdogs in the game & hopefully we can spring a surprise,” Pardew told Goal.

Read more

Share and Enjoy

Liverpool confident of beating Tottenham to Willian signing

Liverpool confident of beating Tottenham to Willian signing

Liverpool is confident of beating Tottenham to the signing of Brazilian winger Willian.The Merseysiders hope to reach an agreement with his club Anzhi Makhachkala in the next 48 hours after lodging a formal bid of €30 million for the in-demand forward.Liverpool have indicated that it is willing to match Willian’s current €100,000-a-week salary in order to convince him to move to Anfield.The Reds have moreover attempted to smooth negotiations with Anzhi by offering the Russian club a sell-on clause in which it would receive 50 per cent of the profits of any future sale.Tottenham has moreover held talks approximately buying Willian, who is a long-term target of the club, yet is not yet believed to have made an offer.The 25-year-old is expected to make a decision approximately his next destination by Tuesday night, with the likelihood growing that a deal could be formalized by the middle of the week.The Brazilian revealed earlier in August that he was “hopeful” that a move to the Reds could come to pass this summer amid Anzhi being willing to offload some of their biggest earners, including Samuel Eto’o, in an attempt to trim costs.Willian said: “For now, all there is are talks. There was the Manchester City bid [of €40m], & that was turned down [before Kerimov decided to reduce funding] & that was a while ago.”Now, I’m waiting for a new bid to arrive in the next days from a few clubs, like Liverpool. If it’s really Liverpool, then it is surely a tremendous club. I’m hopeful & very calm, just waiting for the best.”Meanwhile, Aly Cissokho is expected to undertake a medical on Monday ahead of completing a season-long loan move to Liverpool from Valencia. The Merseysiders are believed to have the option to sign the French left-back on a permanent basis for around €4.6m in 12 months’ time.

< !--more-->

Share and Enjoy