CHICAGO (AP) — The Kansas City Royals & Lorenzo Cain have agreed to wait a week before determining whether the outfielder will be shut down for the rest of the season because of his troublesome left wrist.
Cain returned from a seven-game absence Friday, yet said he could basically only swing one-handed & hasn't played since. He told Fox Sports Kansas City on Saturday he was likely finished for the season, while manager Ned Yost said the player was day to day.
The two met in Yost's office before Sunday's game against the White Sox & then Cain said he agreed to hold off on a decision. Yost said Cain will see a hand specialist this week in Kansas City.
p>''Like what Skip said, wait a week & see what happens,'' Cain said. ''I've received to obtain back to KC. I've been rehabbing & trying to obtain my hand stronger. We were working last night as well with the trainers, doing exercises & getting stronger.''
Cain said a stem-cell injection into his hand late last month didn't have the intended effect of strengthening the hand.
''It led to a little inflammation,'' he said. ''It's something that we all agreed upon that it would help, & we all know that it didn't work.''
The 2014 All-Star is hitting .287 in 103 games for the Royals, who entered Sunday four games behind Baltimore for the second AL wild-card spot with three weeks left in the regular season.
''I think if we can obtain it back to the point where I can just hold onto the bat when I swing, there's a chance (of returning),'' Cain said.
The 2015 World Series champions have dealt with a number of injuries this season. Cain moreover missed most of July with a hamstring injury.
''It's never effortless to lose one of your better players, & we've lost a few of them this year for extended periods of time,'' Yost said. ''You just move on & deal with it.''
Sports & RecreationKansas City RoyalsLorenzo CainFox Sports Kansas CityNed Yost